Clematis viticella 'Flore Pleno'
clematis (group 3) ( syn. Mary Rose )
- in stock
(shipped within 5 working days)
- 3 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Enjoying a revival in recent years, this tough and vigorous climber is thought to date back to the 1500's. It was thought to have been lost for several hundred years, but it was rediscovered in the 1980's by Barry Fretwell who named it Clematis 'Mary Rose'. You will want to grow it for its nodding, dusky purple flowers, which appear over a prolonged period from midsummer.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.