Cornus kousa var. chinensis
(shipped in 2-3 working days)
- 3 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: full sun to part shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow initially, then average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This is a real showstopper of a tree, with two main seasons of interest. Broadly conical in shape, it produces tiny green flowers in June, which are surrounded by showy, creamy-white, petal-like bracts, that fade to lovely shades of pink as they age. In autumn the dark green leaves turn crimson-purple, and mature trees produce strawberry-like fruits. It's an excellent specimen tree for a small garden or woodland edge, and the leaf colour is best in fertile, well-drained, neutral to acid soil.
- Garden care: Incorporate a good amount of well-rotted leafmould when planting. Requires minimal pruning once established, although as it is naturally low-branching and shrubby, you may need to clear a short, single stem when young. This should be tackled when the plant is fully dormant from autumn to early spring.