- in stock
- 20+10 Free corms
- in stock
- 10 corms
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August and September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
- Bulb size: 8/10
Masses of bright red flowers are produced along the top of the slightly arching spikes in midsummer. This is a vigorous plant with sword-shaped, pleated, mid-green leaves. It is perfect for planting in big, bold swathes through ‘hot’ themed borders, and its upright habit and airy sprays of flowers make it an ideal partner for many flowering grasses. The flowers are also excellent for cutting.
- Garden care: Plant the corms (bulbs) in spring approximately 8-10cm deep and 10-15cm apart. Resist removing the faded foliage in autumn and cover the crown of the plant with bracken or bark chips to protect the plant against frost damage. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, planting the divided sections 8-10cm (3-4in) deep.