- in stock
- 19cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good well drianed potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: frost tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 50cm (including pot)
Although not a true palm, Cycas revoluta is actually a member of the cycads - a group of plants which have been around since prehistoric times that have a classic palm tree shape. Easy to look after and slow growing, they became very popular in Victorian times as conservatory and house plants. Still popular today they are perfect for creating an exotic jungle-style look.
Coping well with centrally heated rooms, they enjoy heat, but choose a bright position away from direct sunlight as this can scorch the fronds. It makes a lovely plant for a sheltered summer patio, though they are best moved back inside before the autumn. Mature plants can withstand a light frost and in very mild areas can be planted out in the garden with protection during the winter.
- Home care: Water well during the summer growing season, keeping the soil just moist, but only water sparingly the rest of the year. Feed regularly during the growing season with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Avoid repotting until it is really potbound as they don't like to be disturbed.