sowbread ( syn. Cyclamen neapolitanum )
- available to order from late spring
- 9cm pot
- 3 × 9cm pots
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: October to November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
With their pretty, marbled, heart-shaped leaves and upright, fragrant pink or white flowers, these cyclamen have a long season of interest before disappearing below ground over the summer. The flowers of this autumn-flowering cyclamen often appear well before the leaves, which form a pretty carpet after the flowers have finished. Although they are usually planted in shade, these cyclamen originate from the Mediterranean, so are equally happy in sun. Plant them en-masse in a woodland setting with ferns and other shade-tolerant plants or around the base of deciduous trees. Please be aware that this plant will die back completely to below ground level during the warmer months.
- Garden care: Plant shallowly in humus-rich, fertile soil. Apply a mulch of well-rotted leafmould around the crown of the plants in spring as the foliage starts to die back.