Dahlia 'Blue Wish'
waterlily dahlia tuber
- available to order from winter 2020
- 1 tuber
- 3 tubers
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half hardy (may need winter protection)
As the flowers open, the purple tipped, white petals turn a more uniform shade of lilac. This creates a very pretty effect, and as the flowers are large, the overall picture is an impressive one. Their soft colouring mixes easily with many other shades, but is especially suited to bolder purples, white and all shades of pink.
- Garden care: Provide a high-nitrogen liquid feed each week in June, then a high-potash fertiliser each week from July to September. Once the first frosts of autumn have blackened the foliage, carefully lift and clean the tubers and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite. Store in a frost-free place, checking frequently over the winter months.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs