Daphne 'White Queen'
- in stock
- 13cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
This relatively new hybrid (Daphne acutiloba x Daphne sureil) is a beauty. It's mainly evergreen leaves form a handsome shrub, which in spring, is laden with lots of pure white waxy-looking flowers that form in loosely clustered heads. These have a strong and deliciously sweet perfume, so try to plant it near a path or doorway, so you get a good whiff each time you pass. This gorgeous new daphne is a great choice for a sheltered garden or woodland edge and is bound to be a best-seller in no time at all.
Garden care: Keep pruning to a minimum since the plant is susceptible to die-back. Where necessary after flowering, lightly trim to remove misplaced branches and maintain a compact habit.