Delphinium 'Blue Lace' (New Millennium Series)
- available to order from spring
- 9cm pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Each sky blue floret has a lavender pink flush and a light eye, so the inflorescence is very striking when fully open. Useful for providing a bold focal point in the border, they are also excellent if you want to create vertical interest. For best effect they should be planted in odd-numbered clumps or drifts, and to encourage a second flush of flowers in late summer you should cut the flowered stems back as soon as they have faded.
- Garden care: For best results, choose an open spot away from taller plants. Stake with bamboo canes as they start to shoot upwards in mid-spring and protect young foliage against slug and snail damage. During the growing season, apply a balanced liquid fertiliser every 2-3 weeks and wearing gloves cut back the faded flower stems to a flowering side-shoot to encourage repeat flowering. At the end of autumn cut back and compost the faded flower stems.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten