Delphinium elatum 'Sweethearts' (New Millennium Series)
- available to order from spring
- 9cm pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Heralded as the best pink delphinium, 'Sweethearts' produces magnificent spires of large, rich rose pink flowers. It is a sturdy grower that has been given the Award of Garden Merit by the RHS because of its vigour and reliability. Delphiniums are excellent in the mixed or herbaceous border if you want to create vertical interest, and for best effect they should be planted in odd-numbered clumps or drifts. To encourage a second flush of flowers in late summer you should cut the flowered stems back as soon as they have finished.
- Garden care: For best results, choose an open spot away from taller plants. Stake with bamboo canes as they start to shoot upwards in mid-spring and protect young foliage against slug and snail damage. During the growing season, apply a balanced liquid fertiliser every 2-3 weeks and wearing gloves cut back the faded flower stems to a flowering side-shoot to encourage repeat flowering. At the end of autumn cut back and compost the faded flower stems.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten