congested snake lily bulbs
- available to order from summer
- 10 bulbs
- Bulbs (only) £4.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection in colder areas)
Tightly packed clusters of lilac-blue, tubular flowers form at the tops of the tall, upright stems in early summer, just as the grass-like foliage is starting to die back. Thriving in a sheltered spot with plenty of sun and freely draining soil, it works well in both herbaceous borders and prairie-style settings.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10cm deep in autumn in well-drained soil. Keep dry after flowering and apply a generous layer of insulating mulch around the crown in autumn to keep it warm. In colder areas, it may be best to pot it up so it can be overwintered in a cool greenhouse.
- Humans/Pets: Ornamental bulbs - not to be eaten