Diervilla rivularis Honeybee ('Diwibru01') (PBR)
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A showy, low maintenance shrub, which once established, will practically thrive on neglect. Recently bred in the Netherlands, it has golden foliage, which is said to retain its colouring even in shadier conditions (although we suspect it may become greener when not grown in full sun). From early summer, it also produces clusters of yellow flowers, which will help attract bees and butterflies into the garden. Tough and tolerant, it will cope in a wide range of settings - including dry shade.
- Garden care: Cut back to a low, permanent framework each spring as the buds are beginning to swell, and apply a generous layer of mulch around the base of the plant.