Digitalis × mertonensis
- in stock
- approx 1000 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A beguiling and robust perennial hybrid, that forms clumps of glossy green, veined leaves from which upright spikes, bearing large, lemon-flushed-pink flowers appear in late spring and early summer. Ideally suited to the edge of a woodland garden or wildflower meadow, their flowers are much-loved by bees. These plants will self-seed freely and the resulting seedlings will come true to type. Digitalis are great for adding vertical interest to the border.
- Garden care:Lightly press the seed onto the surface of a well-watered seed compost in mid to late spring and keep in a cold frame. When large enough to handle, pot on into individual cells and once they have developed a decent basal rosette of foliage they can be hardened off before planting out. They will usually start to flower in their second year.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-July
- Approximate quantity: 1000 seeds.