Digitalis purpurea Excelsior Group
- available to order from spring 2022
- approx 1000 seeds
- Position:full sun to partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Incredibly tall flower spikes appear throughout summer bearing large, tubular, purple, pink, creamy-yellow or white flowers, each with maroon or purple spotted throats. Try dotting these pastel-coloured foxgloves through the back of a large cottage-style border or leave them to self-seed and form clumps in a woodland setting.
- Garden care:Lightly press the seed onto the surface of a well-watered seed compost in mid to late spring and keep in a cold frame. When large enough to handle, pot on into individual cells and once they have developed a decent basal rosette of foliage they can be hardened off before planting out. They will usually start to flower in their second year.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-July
- Approximate quantity: 1000 seeds.
- CAUTION toxic if eaten