- in stock
- approx 1000 seeds
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Iconic woodland flowers that are found growing throughout the UK, foxgloves will often carry on flowering for several weeks in summer. Opening upwards from the base of the flower-spike, each thimble-like, pink or purple flower is freckled inside its throat with maroon and will act as a magnet for bees. Allow them to self seed and they form large, naturalised swathes. Digitalis are great for adding vertical interest to the border.
- Garden care: Lightly press the seed onto the surface of a well-watered seed compost in mid to late spring and keep in a cold frame. When large enough to handle, pot on into individual cells and once they have developed a decent basal rosette of foliage they can be hardened off before planting out. They will usually start to flower in their second year. It is worth keeping in mind that these plants are mainly biennial, though if happy they will produce plenty of new sideshoots and self-seed freely.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-July
- Approximate quantity: 1000 seeds.