golden barrel cactus
(shipped within 3-5 working days)
- 8.5cm pot -10cm tall
- Next / named day
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: specialist cacti compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 10cm (including pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 10cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
Cacti are great plants for busy people who want something to sit on a sunny windowsill, but don't want to spend too much time looking after them. This beautifully rounded, glossy green cactus has distinct deep ribs running down the plant, with clutches of golden yellow radial spines protruding out. Native to Mexico, in its natural habitat this cactus can grow to a large plant with funnel-shaped yellow flowers from mid-summer. Though unlikely to flower in the UK, it really is an attractive plant just as it is.
Please note: you may receive one, two or three small plants in the same pot. The pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Place it in a bright spot and in spring and summer, water when the compost gets dry, but make sure it never sits in excess water for any length of time. In autumn cut back on the water and keep it almost dry throughout the winter - watering only if it starts to look a bit shrivelled. Avoid a humid atmosphere (no bathrooms or steamy kitchens) and in the warmer months, open a window or door occasionally so it can enjoy the fresh air. Repot every year or two into a slightly larger pot using cacti compost. You will find it easier to tackle if you concertina a couple of sheets of newspaper and then fold these around the spines, leaving a 'tail' that you can use to lift the plant out of one pot and into another. Otherwise invest in some thorn-proof gloves!