Eventual height & spread
Elaeagnus × submacrophylla 'Limelight'
oleaster (syn Elaeagnus × ebbingei 'Limelight' )
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: October and November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Young green leaves mature to lime-green and yellow-splashed centres, while the creamy-white, autumn flowers fill the air with their fragrance. This versatile, variegated plant is ideal for illuminating dark areas of the shrub border or for growing as an informal hedge and the foliage is excellent for flower arranging. One of the toughest evergreen shrubs, it copes well with dry soil and salt-laden air.
- Garden care: To keep hedging specimens tidy in late summer cut back long or misplaced shoots using secateurs. Remove any plain green-leaved shoots as soon as they appear, cutting them back to the origin.