devil’s ivy (syn. Scindapsus)
- available to order from late spring
- 15cm hanging pot
- Position: bright filtered or indirect light
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 45cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot: supplied in a hanging pot ready to hang
This decorative climber has glossy, rich green leaves that are variously splashed with yellow. Not only does it look good though, it has also been hailed as one of the best houseplants for filtering and purifying the air. Grown in a hanging pot the foliage will cascade down, spilling over the edges of the pot.
- Home care: Water relatively freely when in active growth, making sure the compost dries out in-between, but keep drier in winter. Avoid draughts and mist the leaves regularly with water to increase humidity. Every so often put it under a cold shower to wash off the leaves and pinch out the growing tips to encourage bushier growth. Make sure the winter temperatures stay above 10°C and repot every couple of years.
- Harmful if eaten/skin & eye irritant