Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve'
- available to order from late autumn
- 9cm pot
- 2 + 1 FREE 9cm pots
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately-fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February to July
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
This long-flowering, bushy, vigorous wallflower produces long spires of deep mauve flowers from late winter to summer above narrow, grey-green leaves. It is a short-lived plant, but makes a vivid display for months in a sunny border. Try it as part of a colour-themed scheme, or contrast it with vivid yellows. It also looks good in a rock garden or raised bed.
- Garden care: Provide cloche protection where frosts are very severe or prolonged.