Eschscholzia californica 'Mission Bells'
- Available in 4 weeks
- approx 425 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy annual (will die after flowering, but usually self-seeds)
Californian poppies are incredibly easy to grow (they even flourish in very poor soils) but they will put on a dazzling, summer-long performance. The 'Mission Bells' mix contains a brightly coloured blend of white, red, yellow and pink shades, which are perfect for cottage gardens and meadows, although they look great in any naturalised setting. The bees love them and they also make excellent if short-lived cut-flowers.
- Garden care: Prepare the bed well and sow shallowly into drills from March to May where they are to flower. When large enough to handle thin out the seedlings to 10 - 15cm apart, taking care not to damage the tap root. Water when necessary, but avoid excessively wet conditions.
- Sow: March-May or August-September
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 425 seeds
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus rich soil
- Rate of Growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flowers: white
- Other features: hairy, dark green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This pure white form of our native foxglove looks incredibly elegant when planted in drifts through a partially shaded border, or when used to illuminate the edge of a woodland garden. The majestic spikes of white, tubular flowers that appear in June and July are perfect for the back of the border, and will attract bees and other beneficial insects.
- Garden care:Lightly press the seed onto the surface of a well-watered seed compost in mid to late spring and keep in a cold frame. When large enough to handle, pot on into individual cells and once they have developed a decent basal rosette of foliage they can be hardened off before planting out. They will usually start to flower in their second year.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-July
- Approximate quantity: 1000 seeds.