Eucomis autumnalis subsp. autumnalis
pineapple lily bulb
- 2 + 1 FREE tubers
- available to order from winter
- 1 tuber
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil (or loam-based potting compost with sharp sand or grit for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy (borderline)
- Bulb size: 14+
The unusual flowers of this plant look great planted in clumps in the front of tropical or jungle themed borders. This variety has slender, upright spikes of greenish-white flowers that emerge from a basal rosette of strap-shaped light green leaves with wavy edges - and these flower spikes are topped with a rounded cluster of small leaves that look like a spiky top-knot. They are not fully hardy in colder areas, so unless you have a sheltered spot, you should plant them into pots so they can be overwintered in a cool greenhouse.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs 12cm deep as soon as possible, allowing 20cm between each. In colder areas, provide some protection until the worst of the frosts have passed. Water freely during the growing season and sparingly during winter. Protect the crown of the plant with a dry winter mulch or overwinter indoors under glass. Top-dress or repot container-grown specimens each spring.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs