Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n' Gold'
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 9cm pot
This shrub is semi-evergreen, so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new foliage appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Clusters of insignificant green flowers appear in May and June among small, lustrous green leaves with yellow margins, which often take on a reddish bronze flush in colder winter. This popular, bushy, semi-evergreen shrub will often keep its foliage throughout the winter, and it makes excellent groundcover. A mainstay of low-maintenance gardens, it also makes a good foil for more ornamental, golden-leaved shrubs. It is tough and will thrive in any well-drained border in sun or partial shade.
- Garden care: Tip prune young plants in mid to late spring to encourage bushy growth and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant. Remove any plain green-leaved shoots as soon as they appear, cutting them back to the original branch.
- Harmful if eaten