spurge ( polychroma )
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: light, well-drained garden soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Dark green, lance-shaped leaves are topped with a froth of bright, acid yellow spring flowers that form a distinctive star shape. This perennial, early flowering euphorbia has a natural mounded shape and a short flowering season, but looks lovely as part of a green and yellow planting scheme or with dark red flowers and bronze-tinted grasses. In autumn the foliage turns a lovely shade of bronze.
- Garden care: In autumn cut back the faded flower stems, avoiding new ones. When working with spurges always wear gloves since the milky sap is poisonous and a potential skin irritant. Remove unwanted seedlings each spring as part of routine border maintenance.