- shipped within 4 Weeks
- 12 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: tolerant of a wide range of well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: quite fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Forming a majestic specimen when fully grown (which can take a couple of hundred years!) this tall, spreading tree is a firm favourite in larger gardens. Its wavy-edged green leaves emerge from bud covered with silky hairs, but soon turn a glossy dark green - and then, in autumn, it takes on yellowish brown tones as it dies back. This foliage however is often retained throughout the winter, and only dropping when the new growth emerges the following spring.
- Garden care:When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole. Requires minimal pruning.