Eventual height & spread
common beech - 40-60cm tall (2 years old bare root hedging)
- available to order from autumn
- 25 plants - 40-60cm
- 50 + 25 FREE plants
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: tolerant of a wide range of well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A splendid plant with green leaves that turn a rich copper in autumn. As a tree it is only suited to large gardens or parks, grown as specimens in the lawn. However, it does make a superb hedge, retaining the brown leaves through winter and only loosing them when the new foliage appears in spring. It will make a lovely formal hedge that also acts as an excellent windbreak.
Our bare root hedging range is a very low-cost way of planting a hedge. These hedging plants are only available to buy and plant when dormant (November- early April). With known seed provenance, these F. sylvatica hedging plants are ready to plant by the time they reach you.
Our plants are 2 years old (1+1) which means they have been grown for one year in the seed bed then lifted and grown on for another 1 year. Lifting the plant after its first year encourages a healthy fibrous root system. The plants are lifted and graded at between 40-60cm tall - a good size to plant hedges to encourage successful establishment.
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
- Garden care: For best results, plant this hedging pack out as soon as possible after delivery into well prepared soil. Trim as a hedge in August (check for nests, prior to cutting, delay if present), but any renovative pruning needs to be done in early spring. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting area.
- Pets: Harmful if eaten