Fargesia Red Panda ('Jiu')
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
Bamboos never look their best in winter because the cold, drying winds will often scorch their leaves. In late spring however, new canes will appear bearing a fresh batch of lush foliage.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The upright canes of this beautiful, clump-forming bamboo emerge green, but turn golden orange, then rich reddish brown in their second or third year. This effect is more pronounced when grown in a sunnier spot. These colourful canes form a dense clump and are clothed in slender green leaves, which are retained throughout the year. The dense, upright growth makes this particularly good for hedging or narrow borders.
- Garden care: Do not allow to dry out while the plant is getting established. This is a clump-florming bamboo, but if you want to restrict the plant's spread, plant it in a large container, or surround the roots with a non-perishable barrier.