Eventual height & spread
Fargesia robusta 'Asian Wonder'
umbrella bamboo (syn Fargesia scabrida ‘Asian Wonder')
- available to order from autumn
- 5 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Unlike most other fargesias the upright canes of this beautiful, clump-forming bamboo emerge a reddish-purple colour and then slowly fade to green. This effect is most pronounced when grown in a sunnier spot. These colourful canes form a dense clump and are clothed in slender green leaves, which are retained throughout the year. The dense, upright growth makes this an excellent choice for hedging or screening. Non-invasive and easy to look after, 'Asian Wonder' is particularly good for hedging, narrow borders or even growing in large pots.
- Garden care: Do not allow to dry out while the plant is getting established. Protect from cold, drying winds.