Fuchsia 'Celia Smedley'
hardy fuchsia Celia Smedley
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to the first frosts
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
One of the hardier types of fuchsia, 'Celia Smedley' is noted for its strong growth and abundance of bicoloured blooms, which can appear from late spring to the first frosts. A superb specimen for a pot or sheltered border - it has wowed the judges and been awarded an AGM for its ease of growth and fabulous flowers.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young plants after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring. Protect the roots with a generous layer of mulch in autumn, or move potted plants to a sheltered position in the garden during the worst of the winter weather.