Fuchsia 'New Millennium'
trailing fuchsia New Millennium
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to the first frosts
- Hardiness: frost tender (will need winter protection)
The flowers of this impressive fuchsia grow up to 8cm across, and their unusual deep magenta-purple and red colouring is really quite eye-catching. Forming on trailing stems, its an ideal fuchsia for draping over the edges of a pot or hanging basket.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young fuchsias after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring. Protect the roots with a generous layer of mulch in autumn, or move potted plants to a sheltered position in the garden during the worst of the winter weather.