Fuchsia 'Royal Mosaic' (California Dreamers Series)
trailing hardy fuchsia
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Forming giant sized flowers up to 10cm across, the gently ruffled petals are primarily a rich purple colour, but these are variously infused with a soft pink, which mirrors the colour of the flaring corolla. Forming on trailing stems, it looks impressive when used to soften the edges of a pot or hanging basket.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young fuchsias after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring. Protect the roots with a generous layer of mulch in autumn, or move potted plants to a sheltered position in the garden during the worst of the winter weather.