Galanthus nivalis - in the green
snowdrop - in the green
- available to order from winter 2020
- 15 + 10 FREE
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture-retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: January to February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Snowdrop bulbs bought in the autumn tend to get dehydrated and this can lead to disappointing results. This is why planting bulbs 'in the green' is becoming more and more popular. Snowdrops are perfect for naturalising in grass and they have gorgeous, honey-scented flowers. Plant them in well-drained, moisture-retentive soil.
These diminutive bulbs have some green top growth, but exactly how much will depend upon how far along they are in their 'season'. They are sent out in a plastic bag that has been secured with a rubber band, and inside each bag is also a small amount of compost, that will help to keep the bulbs moist. For best results, they should be unpacked and planted as soon as they arrive.
Please note the snowdrops have now finished flowering.
- Garden care: Plant in naturalistic drifts when they arrive. Where bulbs are planted in grass do not cut the grass until after the leaves have died back. Divide large colonies immediately after flowering while the leaves are still green.