Gardenia jasminoides 'Crown Jewel' (PBR)
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: prefers moist, well-drained neutral to acidic soil or ericaceous compost if grown in a pot
- Flowering period: July to September
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
The creamy white flowers of this lush-looking evergreen shrub, have the most intoxicating scent, which will fill your garden or (if cut for the vase) home. This is one of the new breed of hardier gardenias, so in sheltered gardens it can be left outside in milder winters. The flowers are double, so have lots of petals and they appear in good numbers from midsummer to autumn.
- Garden care: Keep it potted up if your garden receives hard frosts so it can easily be moved between a sunny patio during the summer and an unheated conservatory or greenhouse in winter. Feed with a balanced liquid feed once a month and water freely with soft water during the growing season, but keep the compost reasonably dry throughout winter. Topdress or pot on in using ericaceous compost and lightly trim over-long shoots in mid to late spring.