- available to order from midsummer
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: deep, permanently moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June
- Hardiness: fully hardy (borderline)
A dramatic, architectural plant, with massive, deeply veined, rounded leaves held on stout, prickly stems. This majestic plant looks wonderful at the edge of a large pond or stream where its foliage is reflected in the water. One of the most spectacular plants that can be grown in Britain, it requires deep, permanently moist, humus-rich soil, lots of space and protection from cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: Cut back the dying leaves in autumn. In frost-prone areas protect the crown of the plant with a dry winter mulch such as straw.