Hakonechloa macra Sunflare ('Habsfl007')
- in stock
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
This grass dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: prefers a cool, moist environment in sun or part shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow, non-invasive
- Flowering period: August - September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Emerging each spring a fresh chartreuse-yellow, the foliage soon develops contrasting deep crimson tips, and as the season progresses the colours become richer - particularly when grown in full sun. In smaller gardens, Hakonechloa Sunflare is a great grass for a pot, but if there is room, try planting it in generous drifts - or use it to line the edges of a path for a jaw-dropping display.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost into the planting hold. Leave flower heads to dry out through the winter, adding valuable texture to plantings. Apply a light mulch (3cm) of well-rotted garden compost after cutting back old foliage and before new growth emerges in spring.