Hamamelis × intermedia 'Diane'
- available to order from summer
- 12lt pot (0.8-1m)
- Standard £4.95
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: January to February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In winter, this vase-shaped, deciduous shrub has clusters of sweetly scented, rich coppery-red flowers clinging to bare twigs. In autumn, the bright green leaves turn spectacular shades of yellow, orange and red. This award-winning variety of witch hazel is a lovely specimen plant for a sunny winter border or woodland edge. The flowering twigs can be cut to perfume rooms in winter.
- Garden care: In early spring remove any misplaced, crossing or diseased branches and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.