Hedera helix 'White Wonder'
English ivy or common ivy
- available to order from spring
- 8.5cm pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, preferably alkaline, moist, well-drained soil (or John Innes No.3 potting compost for container-grown plants)
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This is an incredibly versatile plant. While young, it can be used as evergreen infill, and to hang over the edges of hanging baskets, windowboxes and patio pots. When it gets a little bigger, it is ideal for smothering a north-facing wall or fence, while if there is nothing for it to clamber onto, it will make decorative (and weed suppressing) groundcover. The variegation on the leaves can be variable, ranging from shades of rich green to near-white, and once it's established, it's a doddle to grow. This makes it perfect for low-maintenance schemes, where it will look good all through the year.
- Garden care: Water regularly during the growing season. Plants may be pruned at any time of the year to keep within bounds.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten; skin irritant/allergen