- available to order from winter
- 1 tuber
- 3 tubers
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: rich, moist soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
- Bulb size: 8/10
Forming a slowly spreading clump of lustrous foliage, this compact ginger lily is one of the hardier forms. The slender spikes of fragrant, orange-red flowers appear early in the season and tend to open in one impressive flush.
- Garden care: Plant the rhizomes into pots using a good soil-based compost such as John Innes No2. The rhizome should be placed horizontally just below the surface of the soil with the small reddish coloured buds facing upwards. Water well and then grow on under glass until all risk of frost has passed. Alternatively, store the rhizomes in a cool, frost-free place (such as a garage, shed or unheated porch) until they can be planted straight out in the garden. Keep well watered during the summer, but dry during winter. The rhizomes should be covered in the Autumn with a deep, dry mulch, or brought inside and kept in a frost free spot until the Spring when they can be planted outside again.