Helianthus annus 'Claret' F1
sunflower 'Claret' F1
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- approx 40 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Exquisite chocolate-brown flowers, with a gorgeous metallic sheen to the bloom, from July to September. The mid-height habit makesthese sunflowers ideal for the summer garden. Perfect for the back of a sunny annual, mixed or herbaceous border with moderately-fertile, moist but well-drained soil, they make excellent cut-flowers. The flowers are also edible and are said to taste like artichokes when still in bud. Once opened, the petals have a bittersweet favour.
Winner of an Royal Horticultural Society, Award of Garden Merit for reliability and good performance.
Part of the seed range produced by Mr Fothergill’s Seeds in partnership with the RHS.
- Garden care:Under glass, start them off in late winter by planting the seeds up to 5cm deep in deep pots or root trainers filled with good seed compost. When large enough to handle, plant outside in spring after gradually hardening off. Alternatively, sow directly into a well-prepared seed bed in spring and thin to 30cm as they grow. If sowing outside, temporarily cover the bed with a net to protect the seeds from birds, and keep an eye out for slugs and snails when the seedlings emerge.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-October
- Approximate quantity: 40 seeds.