Helianthus annuus 'Valentine'
- Available in 4 weeks
- approx 40 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A wonderful variety with numerous smaller blooms on bushy plants with an attractive, well branched habit. Easy to grow for sunny borders or for magnificent cut flowers.
Winner of an Royal Horticultural Society, Award of Garden Merit for reliability and good performance.
Part of the seed range produced by Mr Fothergill’s Seeds in partnership with the RHS.
- Garden care:Under glass, start them off in late winter by planting the seeds up to 5cm deep in deep pots or root trainers filled with good seed compost. When large enough to handle, plant outside in spring after gradually hardening off. Alternatively, sow directly into a well-prepared seed bed in spring and thin to 30cm as they grow. If sowing outside, temporarily cover the bed with a net to protect the seeds from birds, and keep an eye out for slugs and snails when the seedlings emerge.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-October
- Approximate quantity: 40 seeds.