Helleborus × hybridus Pretty Ellen collection
hellebore Pretty Ellen collection
- 2+1 FREE collections
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Buy the collection of 3 hellebores (1 of each variety) for £14.99 or buy 2 collections for £29.98 and get another collection FREE
- Helleborus 'Pretty Ellen White':White flowers, which sometimes have a faint pink or green flush, are useful for illuminating areas of partial shade beneath deciduous trees or shrubs early in the year. This adaptable perennial can be used to carpet a woodland floor, fill gaps at the front of the border, or add a bit of pizzazz to a potted seasonal display. Height: 35cm.
- Helleborus 'Pretty Ellen Red':Add delicious dollops of colour to the planting scheme in late winter and early spring with this beautiful hellebore. The flowers are a rich shade of burgundy-red, which looks sublime against the backdrop of the lush foliage. Under-plant it with crocus for a dazzling display. Height: 35cm.
- Helleborus 'Pretty Ellen Pink':Clear pink petals surround a greenish-yellow centre, forming very pretty flowers, which appear in loose cymes from late winter. If left undisturbed in the border, the evergreen foliage will form dense, slowly expanding clumps that will carpet the ground. An excellent choice for partial shade. Height: 35cm.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Cut the old leaves back down to the ground in January or February as this will show off the new emerging flowers to best effect. It will also help to get rid of foliar diseases such as Hellebore leaf spot. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Cut off the seed heads to prevent inferior seedlings colonising.
This hellebore collection includes some unusual and very beautiful cultivars, which will provide valuable colour from midwinter to mid-spring in partially shaded areas of the garden. Tough and tolerant, they will thrive on soils with a chalk or limestone base, but they will also cope with a wide range of fertile, humus-rich soils provided they are not too dry or waterlogged. They are happy in full sun or lightly dappled shade, however they will need watering regularly if grown in a bright spot.
In this collection you will receive one of each of the following varieties, each supplied as 5cm plugs.