Helleborus collection of six plants
- available to order from autumn
- 6 × 10.5cm pots
- Standard £4.95
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Hellebores herald the start of the new year with their gently nodding flowers that open as early as January. The large saucer-shaped flowers and attractive foliage makes them ideal for the front of an early spring border.
This fabulous collection will normally contain a mixture of H. × sternii, H. argutifolius, H. niger, H. × hybridus (H. orientalis), however it can vary slightly dependant upon the season.
- Helleborus × sternii: Easy-to-grow with clusters of showy green flowers tinged pink and purple (Feb-Mar), 35cm tall.
- Helleborus argutifolius: Stunning evergreen foliage and subtle green flowers that appear in late winter and last well in to early summer (Feb-Jun), 40cm tall.
- Helleborus niger: The Christmas rose, which produces gently nodding white flowers (Jan-Apr), 30cm tall.
- Helleborus orientalis: One of the most popular hellebores with its captivating range of flower colours from white through to slate black (Feb-Apr), 45cm tall
- Garden Care:Grow hellebores in a partially shady spot that's nice and sheltered as strong, icy winds can damage their blooms. Remember to dig in plenty of organic matter in to the soil when you plant and mulch every spring.