Hepatica 'Forest Purple' (Forest Series)
- available to order from late autumn
- 7cm pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist but well-drained neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: slow growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Exquisite, rich purple, bowl-shaped flowers top slender stems in early spring, usually as the round or slightly lobed foliage is emerging. A very rare and unusual plant, it should be planted out in a partially shaded spot, preferably somewhere you can admire it on a regular basis.
- Garden care: Hepaticas resent being moved, so try to plant them where they can remain undisturbed for several years. Apply a generous layer of mulch in autumn or immediately after flowering.