Hesperantha coccinea 'Major'
crimson flag or shizostylis
(shipped in 2-4 working days)
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need protection in winter)
Stiff, upright stems of large, deep red, gladiolus-like flowers in August and September above narrow, mid-green leaves. These eye-catching crimson flag lilies (or Schizostylis) provide vertical interest and a late splash of colour when many summer flowers are coming to a close. Perfect for a sheltered sunny, moist but well-drained border, they make excellent cut flowers.
- Garden care: Apply lots of well-rotted garden compost or manure when planting. Water during dry spells and deadhead regularly. After flowering remove the faded flowerspikes and protect the crown of the plant with a deep, dry winter mulch. Lift and divide congested plants every two or three years in spring.