Hippeastrum 'Royal Red'
- available to order from spring
- 12cm pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright but not in full sun
- Soil: good quality potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: December to February
- Hardiness: frost tender (will need winter protection)
- Pot cover: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
If you want immediate impact this is the plant for you. Delivered already potted and growing, it will have developed buds that could just be beginning to show colour, and will be in flower within a few weeks. Then you can enjoy the gorgeous sumptous scarlet red blooms held aloft on strong stems. A wonderful instant gift for friends and family, or for you!
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery alternative), but we have a wide and wonderful range on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Once flowering has finished, cut off the flower stalk 5-10cm above the bulb - don't cut off the foliage. Water when the surface of compost is dry and feed fortnightly with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Reduce and cease watering from early autumn and move to a dry, dark spot for a few months allowing the foliage to die back, simulating the dormant, dry season of the plant’s native South America. In November bring it back into the light and begin watering again. Old foliage should be removed though take care not to remove any new shoots. Expect flowers in six to eight weeks. Keep the plant in a bright spot avoiding direct sun, and rotate the plant periodically to avoid the emerging flower stalk leaning towards the light. Leaves will appear shortly after flowering.
- Humans/Pets: Harmful if eaten