Dendrobium 'Purple Happiness'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 11cm pot - 55cm tall
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good orchid potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 55cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 12.5cm orchid pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
Opening in succession from the base of the flowerspike, the richly coloured flowers of this stunning orchid offer up to 2 months of colour each year.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Place this orchid in a bright spot but not in direct sun in a moderately warm room when in flower. Let the compost dry out slightly on the surface before watering with tepid soft water, or rainwater, allowing any excess water to drain away and then remove, - don't leave the plant sitting in water. Make sure you have good air circulation and mist regularly. Feed with orchid fertiliser through growing season.Once it has flowered you can trim off the spent flowers but leave the 'cane' stems as they may support some more flowers in the folowing years. Over time some of the older 'canes' may become a bit woody and shrivelled, these can then be cut off at the base as long as there are 3 new healthy canes with leaves. To have flowers in subsequent years the plant will need cool temperatures in the autumn and early winter for the buds to develop, and remember to reduce the watering. Once the buds have formed you can increase the watering and move it back to a warmer room to enjoy the floral display.