Hyacinthus orientalis 'Jan Bos'
garden hyacinth bulbs
- 10 + 5 FREE bulbs
- available to order from late summer
- 5 bulbs
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained, moderately fertile soil (for container-grown bulbs use two parts John Innes No2 compost to one part sharp grit)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 16/17
An old variety (it was first introduced in 1910), but still very popular as its sweetly scented clusters of vibrant pinkish red, bell-shaped flowers take some beating. It's a superb choice for pots or front of border positions where you want something that stands out. The flowers are incredibly bright and can be used for cutting too.
- Garden care: Using gloves plant bulbs 10-15cm (4-6in) deep and 15cm (6in) apart in early or mid-autumn.