Hydrangea arborescens Invincibelle Spirit ('Ncha1') (PBR)
- available to order from summer
- 3 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A breakthrough in breeding has produced this, the first H. arborescens to produce pink coloured flowers. The large, dome-shaped flowerheads will remain attractive for several months from midsummer, or they can be used in fresh or dried arrangements.
- Garden care: In hot weather, thoroughly soak the plants roots when watering to prevent it drying out. Remove faded flowerheads in spring after the danger of frosts, cutting back the flowered stems to a strong pair of buds and take out misplaced or diseased shoots. Once established, remove a quarter to a third of the shoots to the base of the plant. Cutting it back in this way will keep it compact and will also result in a branching, bushier shrub. Mulch young plants with a well-rotted manure or compost in spring.