Hydrangea paniculata Pinky Winky ('Dvppinky') (PBR)
- available to order from autumn
- 12lt pot (0.8-1m)
- Standard £4.95
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The tiny star-like flowers emerge from bud white and gradually fade to pink as they age giving the panicles a distinct two-tone effect. The flower panicles are long, and can reach up to 40cm long, and the sturdy stems hold them erect. Use it as a specimen plant or to create a spectacular flowering hedge. The flower-heads can be picked for dried arrangements.
- Garden care: To enhance flowering prune hard in early spring, cut back the previous season's shoots to within a few buds of the permanent, woody framework of the plant.