Ilex crenata Luxus ('Annys5') (PBR)
- available to order from spring
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Perfect for creating parterres and low hedges, this compact, bushy evergreen can be clipped into a variety of shapes, so it's also ideal for creating topiary. Easy to grow in a wide range of settings, it has an excellent resistance to diseases, so it makes an ideal alternative to Buxus.
- Garden care: Plants grown as free-standing specimens require minimal pruning - remove diseased or misplaced branches in spring. Trim plants grown as formal hedges in late summer. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.
- Humans/Pets: Fruit are ornamental - not to be eaten