Spanish flag (syn Mina lobata)
- Available in 4 weeks
- approx 30 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: tender perennial
This fast-growing climber forms a screen of relatively large, distinctly lobed foliage, which is very attractive in its own right. It is however for the abundance tubular summer flowers that this plant is most highly prized. Forming in one-sided sprays, these blooms are initially red, but fade to orange, yellow then finally white as they mature. The overall effect is extremely colourful. It will survive year after year if grown in a greenhouse or conservatory where temperatures do not drop below 10C.
Winner of an Royal Horticultural Society, Award of Garden Merit for reliability and good performance.
Part of the seed range produced by Mr Fothergill’s Seeds in partnership with the RHS.
- Garden care: Soak the seeds in water for 24 hours before sowing to soften them up and then plant 2.5mm deep into small pots filled with a freely draining compost. Keep them at around 20°C and water when necessary. Thin out carefully when large enough to handle taking care not to damage the roots and harden off before planting out after all frosts. Provide adequate support for it to scramble up.
- Sow: March-April
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 30 seeds.