Kniphofia 'Tawny King'
red hot poker
- available to order from late spring
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Tall bright and imposing, kniphofias lend height, vibrancy and drama to any garden. 'Tawny King' produces fantastic 'pokers' with dark bronze stems and tubular, cream flowers that open progressively from the base of the flowerhead above clumps of evergreen, strap-like leaves. The flowers start opening in July from apricot buds and continue to flower well into October. Originally from South Africa, the elegant, torch-like flowers of kniphofia make vertical accents in a sunny border and look particularly good as an exotic scheme based on 'hot' colours. They also look great with a background of ornamental grasses. This is an easy and undemanding plant.
- Garden care: In autumn remove and compost the faded flower spikes and apply a deep dry mulch such as pine needles around the crown of the plant. Cut back to the ground in spring to keep the foliage fresh-looking. Divide and replant overcrowded colonies in spring.